Hollywood is crumbling.
Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault allegations were the spark that lit the fire as more stars are being exposed every day.
And now one of the biggest stars in the world stands accused of sexual assault, and his career is coming to an abrupt end as a result.
Two-time Academy Award winner Kevin Spacey’s career spans decades. He’s practically a staple in the Hollywood scene.
But the Unusual Suspects star has been accused of making sexual advances towards a then-14-year-old child star Anthony Rapp during a party.
Allegedly, Spacey threw Rapp onto a bed and hovered over him, forcing Rapp to physically push him off.
And the House of Cards star responded to these allegations in the exact way his character Frank Underwood would—with total misdirection and subject-changing, making his apology more about coming out as gay.
But people didn’t fall for it and responded accordingly.
People called on Netflix to cancel the popular House of Cards which is currently filming its 6th season.
Netflix originally announced this would be their last season, but now they’ve halted production entirely.
Fox News reports:
Production of “House of Cards” has been suspended following a sexual harassment allegation against star Kevin Spacey.
“[Media Rights Capital] and Netflix have decided to suspend production on ‘House of Cards’ season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew.”
The decision to conclude “House of Cards” was made several months ago, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the decision.
However, a representitive for Netflix told Fox News earlier on Monday that the company is “deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey.
In response to [Monday’s] revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Spacey released a statement admitting he didn’t remember the incident in question. In the statement, the 58-year-old star came out as a gay man.
Netflix made a big leap of faith in 2013 by making the scripted drama one of its first forays into the world of original programming. Today, Netflix is known for hit shows such as “Stranger Things,” “Narcos,” “13 Reasons Why,” “Orange is the New Black,” “Fuller House” and many more.
Rapp said that in 1986, Spacey, a fellow Broadway actor at the time, invited Rapp to his apartment for a party. Later in the evening, Spacey, then 26, allegedly “picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, making a sexual advance,” according to the Buzzfeed News report.
Rapp recalled he pushed Spacey off of him, went to a bathroom and closed the door, thinking: “What is happening?” He told Spacey he had to go home, to which Spacey allegedly asked if Rapp was “sure” he wanted to do that.
Rapp, who came forward less than a month after accusations against mega-producer Harvey Weinstein led to his Hollywood downfall, said he decided to speak out “not to simply air a grievance … but to try to shine another light on the decades of behavior that have been allowed to continue because many people, including myself, being silent.”
Spacey, early Monday, tweeted that he does not remember the alleged encounter, saying it would have been over 30 years ago.
“But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior,” Spacey wrote. “And I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”
The house of cards Hollywood is built on certainly is falling. So which big Hollywood name will be next?