It’s hard to believe that it’s been a little over 12 months since “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett allegedly concocted a massive lie that two MAGA supporters jumped him on the streets of Downtown Chicago while screaming racial epithets at him.
Everybody’s jaws dropped when they heard the Cook County State Prosecutors’ office dropped the charges against the actor.
But last week Jussie Smollett finally got what was coming to him. And it’s been a long time coming.
The liberal mainstream media and Hollywood elitists flocked to Jussie Smollett’s side after he told police that he was beaten on the streets of Downtown Chicago in January 2019.
Here is the timeline:
On January 29th – Smollett claims two men jumped him while yelling racial and homophobic slurs. He calls the police and they show up to his apartment finding him with the noose around his neck. When asked if they could check his phone, Smollett refused.
February 15th – Trajectory of the case shifts. Chicago Police have two Nigerian brothers in custody, Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo – both of which worked on Smollett’s show “Empire” (we would find out later Smollett wrote them a check for $3,500).
February 21st – Smollett turns himself in at 5:15 am and was charged with one count of felony disorderly conduct for filing a false police report – it ends up being 16 counts of disorderly conduct.
March 14th – Smollett pleads not guilty and plans to go to trial in April.
March 26th – Cook County State Prosecutor Kim Foxx drops all the charges against Smollett if he forfeits over the $10,000 bail and does 200 hours of community service.
Following the prosecutors dropping the charges, Smollett thought he was home free, but he was dead wrong.
Due to the immense backlash of Foxx’s decision, a special prosecutor was appointed, a judge ordered Google to turn over Smollett’s data to the special prosecutor and the Chicago Police Department sued him over investigation costs.
And on Tuesday of last week, a grand jury returned a six-count indictment accusing actor Jussie Smollett of lying to Chicago police.
Special prosecutor Dan Webb said in a statement that the charges are “related to his false claims that he was the victim of a hate crime, knowing that he was not the victim of a crime.”
But the Cook County State Prosecutors Office, particularly State Attorney Kim Foxx, is in hot water too.
Webb’s statement said he has concluded that further prosecution of Smollett is “in the interest of justice,” noting the State’s Attorney’s office found at the time of the indictment that the evidence against Smollett was “strong,” and that the office hasn’t identified any new evidence that would have changed their view.
And Foxx is just weeks away from an election.
Her campaign released a statement on Tuesday saying, “What’s questionable here is the James Comey-like timing of that charging decision, just 35 days before an election, which can only be interpreted as the further politicization of the justice system, something voters in the era of Donald Trump should consider offensive.”
Meanwhile, Smollett’s attorney, Tina Glandian, released an official statement of the new charges saying, “This indictment raises serious questions about the integrity of the investigation that led to the renewed charges against Mr. Smollett, not the least of which is the use of the same CPD detectives who were part of the original investigation into the attack on Mr. Smollett to conduct the current investigation, despite Mr. Smollett’s pending civil claims against the City of Chicago and CPD officers for malicious prosecution.”
But where Glandian is wrong is that the two Nigerian brothers admitted to helping Smollett, there is video footage of them buying rope at a hardware store, and Chicago police discovered a check for $3,500 addressed to them from Smollett.
The Osundairo Nigerian brothers that Smollett allegedly hired told TMZ they hope he will finally “build up the courage to finally tell the truth,” implying they’re sticking to their story that he hired them.