The world may seem like it’s coming apart at the seams amid this global crisis, but we will get through this one day at a time like we always have.
Humans are resilient. While times are tough now, we will get through this.
But this Clinton ally whose entire world came crashing down around him apart from the global crisis we all face was just charged with sexual assault.
It’s hard to think of a Hollywood elitist that’s fallen so far from grace than disgraced former super producer Harvey Weinstein. Bill Cosby hasn’t exactly been relevant in Hollywood in decades, but he is a contender.
The last celebrity to fall this hard and was more famous than Weinstein was O.J. Simpson. As you already know, in the mid-1990s, Simpson was charged with the double homicide of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her lover, Ronald Goldman.
Granted, Simpson was acquitted and therefore served no prison time.
Unlike disgraced super producer Harvey Weinstein, who was just sentenced to 23 years for third-degree rape and first-degree sexual assault. The judge handed down a 23-year sentence, which was only two years shy of the maximum.
But then the Academy Award winning filmmaker of “Shakespeare in Love” contracted the deadly disease sweeping the globe and was put on a 14-day quarantine in Rikers Island jail on the outskirts of New York City.
Weinstein perpetuated a “declining health” narrative where he used a walker to gain sympathy from the jury in his conviction and then with the judge in his sentencing. But clearly, he was healthy enough to beat the deadly disease so that narrative must have been overblown.
So, on top of getting a 23-year sentence, on top of contracting the latest virus, Weinstein was also charged with sexual assault from a case that allegedly occurred in 2010 in Los Angeles, California.
Last week, the L.A. District Attorney’s office said it has charged Harvey Weinstein with one felony count of sexual battery by restraint. The alleged incident happened at a Beverly Hills hotel on May 11, 2010.
Prosecutors didn’t identify the victim but claimed she was first interviewed by law enforcement in October as a possible corroborating witness.
Last month, she provided detectives with information confirming that the assault took place within the 10-year-statute of limitation, which means he’s facing a similar sentence to what the New York judge just handed down to him.
And this isn’t the only LA case being developed against him either.
There were two previous cases the LA prosecutors had been pursuing but neither one of the victims in those cases wanted to testify against Weinstein. That complaint was from an incident in 2013.
LA County District Attorney Jackie Lacey released a statement saying, “We are continuing to build and strengthen our case. As we gather corroborating evidence, we have reached out to other possible sexual assault victims. If we find new evidence of a previously unreported crime, as we did here, we will investigate and determine whether additional criminal charges should be filed.”
Although the 68-year-old has maintained his innocence since the Me Too movement began in October 2017, the evidence with corroborated stories, against him is overwhelming.
Weinstein’s attorneys argued at his sentencing that if he was given any more time than the minimum, 5 years, then he would likely die in prison. Not only was that ignored in his sentencing by the judge giving him 23 years but now he has new charges that could carry a similar sentence.
Los Angeles prosecutors said on Friday they will be seeking temporary custody of Weinstein from New York as a part of an extradition process so he can stand trial once again.
The Clintons must be so proud of their former mega-donor.