Bill Cosby avoided a prison sentence..
The judge was forced to declare a mistrial after the jury failed to reach a conclusion.
And now Bill Cosby is planning something incredibly controversial
The jury was unable to reach a conclusion on three separate sexual assault charges since prosecuting sex crimes after a decade or more can be a disaster for the prosecution.
Memories fade over time and forensic evidence is mostly unavailable.
Basically it comes down to a he-said she-said testimony, and that is hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
And what Cosby is planning next is so absurd, it’ll make you question his sanity.
The Washington Times reports:
“Representatives for comedian Bill Cosby say he plans to follow up the recent sexual assault case against him that ended in a mistrial with educational town hall meetings on the subject.
‘Good Day Alabama’ invited Cosby’s spokespersons Andrew Wyatt and Ebonee Benson to talk about the June 18 mistrial at a Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pennsylvania.
The two said he plans to ‘get back to work’ by giving others life advice.
‘This is bigger than Bill Cosby,’ Mr. Wyatt told the station, TMZ reported Thursday.
‘This issue can affect any young person, especially young athletes of today.
And they need to know what they’re facing when they’re hanging out at a party, when they’re doing certain things they shouldn’t be doing.’
Mr. Cosby dodged a legal bullet last week when 12 jurors could not agree on sexual assault charges filed against him on behalf of Andrea Constand.
The former Temple University basketball staffer asserts that Mr. Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in 2004 inside his home.
More than 50 women have made similar claims, which the comedian denies.
‘Laws are changing,’ Ms. Benson said. ‘The statute of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended.
This is why people needed to be educated on a brush against the shoulder. You know, anything at this point can be considered sexual assault and it’s a good thing to be educated.’”
Bill Cosby giving insight on how to fight against sexual assault accusations is about as tone-deaf as O.J. Simpson giving public speeches about the dangers of being on trial for murder.
Benson actually says that people need to be educated about sexual assault allegations because statutes of limitations are being extended.
That is a dangerous message to send to young kids.
And considering the vehicle for that message is a man who is accused of raping over 50 women, you’d think they’d have the foresight to see how illogical it looks.
Thankfully, Cosby likely won’t be able to do it for very long as prosecutor Kevin Steele is already looking to retry the case with a different jury.
USA Today reported:
“Steele told the judge he intends to retry the case. He elaborated later at a press conference, saying Constand ‘deserves a verdict’ on the charges.
He said he was disappointed about the mistrial but insisted he has no doubts about the state’s case and that the trial had meaning for victims of sexual assault everywhere.
‘Our plan is to move this case forward as soon as possible,’ Steele said, adding that another year added to the age of the case would not be a burden.
‘One of the challenges that we face in this type of case is the time period that has gone.
But it doesn’t affect the evidence. And I hope, if you sat through the court proceedings, you saw how powerful that evidence is.’”
Steele is adamant about putting Cosby behind bars – and it needs to happen sooner rather than later before eager young listeners get the wrong idea.